News from the Kindergarten Bee Hive
I hope that you all had a great holiday with lots of family time and fun. The first week back will be a review of procedures besides a general review of all the things that we learned last semester.
- We are continuing to work on our color words and sight words with a review of all the words. We will begin working on number words in a few weeks along with our regular sight words.
- We will do a quick review of all letters and sounds with more emphasis on the letter Dd and Gg. Both of these letters tend to be a little tricky. We are reading words that begin with a vowel and CVC words.
- Ruby the Responsible Butterfly will be teaching us some more valuable lessons. We have learned to always do our best, to use self-control and self-discipline.
- We will review procedures, making good choices and what I expect from the children.
- We will be reviewing simple adding and subtracting as well as sorting, greater than and lesser than. We are also working on counting to 100 by 1’s, 5’s, and 10’s. We are recognizing numbers to 50 and writing our numbers to 20.
- Some students will begin spelling lessons by the end of January.
- We will begin having weekly assessments on Friday with classroom tests instead of all individual testing. There will still be some individual testing but most of the testing will be done whole group. The children will be provided with privacy shields to help them learn to keep their eyes on their own papers.
- Children will continue using daily folders with their daily assignments in them. We will review our responsibilities regarding completing those assignments on a daily basis. This procedure gives me the opportunity to individualize their daily work. I can give challenging work to those who need it, make up work for those who have been absent, and review work for those struggling.
- Reading groups will begin by the end of the month and will be done while the students are doing their seatwork (center time) etc.
- No homework the first week back as we only have four days. Regular homework will start January 9th.
I wanted to express my sincere appreciation to all the parents who supplied treat bags, cookies, cupcakes, hot chocolate and other treats for our Winter Party. We had a great time.
Congratulations TO Emmanuel Vargas, Darian Jimenez Vega, Kirra Showers and Symon Rigor for their part in using good character and positive attitudes for the entire semester. They